Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Natural Resources To Increase Milk Supply

When I was pregnant with Baby C, I was very insecure when it came to being a mother.  I read several books and went to many classes, but never felt like I was good enough.  My biggest goal was to be able to breastfeed her, but we struggled with that from the beginning and had to give it up after 3 weeks because of our illness.



I know that with a newborn, there will be some challenges.  But I feel much more confident this time around, maybe because I know a little more of what to expect.  Or because I've learned a lot more than the books and classes ever taught me.  

With all my heart, I want to succeed at breastfeeding our little man.  Even before I knew I was pregnant, I started researching natural ways to increase milk supply.  I compiled some of them here in hopes that it will be a good resource for all of us mommies.

Natural Resources To Increase Milk Supply

1. Alfalfa - one of the most nutritious herbs, is known to increase the fat content in breast milk.  

2. Protein - it is extremely important to have adequate amounts of protein when breastfeeding.  It can be found in many foods, but my favorite source of protein comes from my morning shakes.  I have read that nursing mothers need 20 grams more protein a day then they did before pregnancy to support milk production.

3. Lactation Cookies - Kassandra, from Homespun Aesthetic, shares her favorite cookie recipe to boost milk supply and shares info on why it helps to do so.  

4. Breastfeeding Tips - these are 8 great breastfeeding tips for moms, from Chrystal at Happy Mothering.  I'm sure many of us can share in the struggle of learning to breastfeed for the first time.

5. More Milk Suggestions - Brittany, the author of The Pistachio Project, offers more wonderful tips to increase milk supply with her third baby.

6. Breastfeeding Place - this is an amazing site where you will find helpful information on all things related to breastfeeding.  From producing more milk to breastfeeding multiples, you will want to check out this website for sure.

What other natural tips have worked for you to increase your milk supply?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mandi!
    Two important tips:
    1. Drink lots of water and other fluids without caffeine. You can't put out liquids from your body unless you're bringing in more than enough.
    2. Get lots of rest. I know it's silly to even suggest that when this isn't your first baby, but it takes a huge amount of energy to make milk. It can be exhausting. Try to sleep whenever the baby sleeps.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alicia! Those are great tips!!!

      Delete
  2. the lactation cookies look delicious! what a great idea. will definitely try these with our next baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they do look yummy! I can't wait to try them myself, Natasha!

      Delete
  3. These are great tips! I'm so glad I didn't have supply issues with my older children! There was so little information available at the time. New mothers are fortunate to have so much good breastfeeding info. at their fingertips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So many women give up, because they are not taught ways to help them! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but sometimes it just doesn't work out because of other issues. Glad you loved the tips!

      Delete