Friday, March 9, 2012

A Prayer for Illness {Celebrating Lent}

Whether you know someone who is ill or you're going through an illness yourself, it can suck the life out of you.  It can be heartbreaking and devastating.  But I know for a fact that God can work miracles and heal even those on their death bed.

At just 3 weeks old, Baby C battled through Bacterial Spinal Meningitis from Salmonella.  Many children have lost their lives, limbs and/or hearing and significant delays in development to this awful sickness.  Baby C pulled through by the healing powers of God.

Today, I ask God to comfort all those who are suffering from an illness.  Whether it be physically, mentally or emotionally.  May God bring them the people they need in their lives to support them, comfort them, cry with them, and laugh with them.  May they be strengthened by God's healing power.  And may they know that miracles do happen.

5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5

We can't explain illness and suffering.  Jesus tried to end it where He could.  And at the end of His life, he took it on himself.  He taught us not to give in, but to fight for our health.  He taught us that sickness can be blessings in disguise.  It reminds us to depend on God.  It reminds us how precious life is.  And it reminds us to accept God and His ways, knowing that whatever lies ahead, it will be okay.

Healing

God of healing, God of hope, God of
love, heal me as you will and give me hope.
You meet me in all my weaknesses and broken
places.  Those are the spots where I am
Most vulnerable, least able to defend or protect
myself.  Yet that’s where you find entry.
Help me to know your wholeness and power
and love there.  Let me realize that you are
there waiting for me.  May my helplessness
challenge me to find strength and healing in
you.
~Author Unknown

If you are ill or know someone who is, feel free to leave a comment below or email me.  Learn more about my {Celebrating Lent} series and let's come together in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment