Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Picking A Pediatrician

I have a love/hate relationship with doctors.  Does anyone else feel the same way?  I love them when they provide great care and sound advice or help to heal my baby girl, but hate when they don't listen and misdiagnose.  And it's always so hard to find a good great doctor.  Especially when you are searching for a pediatrician.

We moved again, a couple weeks ago.  So I had to find a pediatrician for Baby C.  It's always a struggle when you don't know anyone to get recommendations from.  Last time, I searched the web and was blessed to find a perfect fit.  This time, not so much.

As we entered the quiet lobby, I was impressed by how beautifully painted and child friendly it was.  The receptionist was friendly, too (that's always a big plus).  Then it went down hill from there.  The nurse wasn't very personable and made Baby C and I a bit uncomfortable.  And when the doctor walked in to examine Baby C, she never washed her hands.

She proceeded by asking questions and background information.  When she asked, "has Baby C ever been hospitalized?"  I was ticked to say the least.  And I asked if her previous doctor sent her prior records.  "Oh yes, I just haven't had the time to review them," she replied.  Remember when I said I walked into a quiet office?  Why wouldn't she have time?  And isn't it normal practice to review your patient's records before examining them?

So, here I was with tears in my eyes, explaining reliving the hardest days of my life, as the the doctor's mouth dropped in disbelief.  "How rare," is all she could say.  I knew then and there that she just wasn't the right doctor for us.

As I shared my concern that I didn't think Baby C was getting enough milk and asked for her help, the best advice she could offer was to add a little chocolate syrup to her cup.  Really?  That's all you got?  And then, in two years, we can discuss her rotting teeth and obesity?

And to top it all off, I had to remind the friendly receptionist to take my insurance card.  That's part of her job, right?

Has anyone else had a similar or bad experience searching for the right pediatrician?  Any tips on finding a perfect match?

(Sorry for the moodiness and sarcasm today.  It's just been one of those weeks.)



6 comments:

  1. Did you read my post about firing my pediatrician? Finding a good doctor is very hard. I brought inch wide files for both my kids to the new doctor and was impressed that she had atleast skimmed them and knew about their basic issues.

    I called one other Dr.s office, who I had heard good things about, and their receptionest said, "Does your kid have behavior problems or anything because we are not taking any more right now." I was APPALED and immediately said, that regardless if they do or don't, I would never become a patient of yours now.

    I pray the right Doctor comes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember your post about firing your pediatrician. I remember being upset for you. Haha! I'm so glad you found a new one, that fits your family. That gives me hope!

      I wouldn't have taken my child to the "misbehavior" doctor either. How rude and insensitive!

      Delete
  2. Ouch. That really stinks.
    Our pediatrician was marvelous ~ he was mine when I was little and has been with our littles since birth, but because he's such a wonderful, seasoned veteran, he received a promotion that takes him out of regular practice :( I am currently trying to choose another, and I'm having a tough time.
    I have to say that I really appreciate your sarcasm today =) It's unlike you, but funny/cute. Tehe :)
    I hope you find a better Dr! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, That is so cool that your kids had the same doctor as you growing up. What a blessing. I wish you the best of luck finding a new doctor too! And thanks for understanding my sarcasm. :)

      Delete
  3. When we lived in Philly, we got great recommendations from my hubby's coworkers. We loved them. They had sick/healthy waiting rooms. Receptionists were friendly. Docs didn't seemed rush but answered all of our questions.

    3 months later, we had to move and like you, were nervous about finding a similarly awesome pediatrician (and other docs too). Our first one was a recommendation by my coworker. They had the tiniest (non-separated) waiting room, and the docs kept telling us different things about our son's eczema. We dropped them like a hat and just tried google. I read reviews of a nearby office that had 2 waiting rooms, and I was sold. They've been great so far! Good luck on your search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'm so glad you were able to find a good pediatrician. Thanks for the luck! I need it. :)

      Delete