Friday, September 9, 2011

He Remembers

I was in my junior year of college when I heard about the planes crashing into the twin towers.  I was interning at an elementary school. At the time, I didn't realize it was a terrorist attack. Driving back to my dorm, after school, is when I realized it was more than just random plane crashes.

I began to cry as I listened to the details of the attack on the radio.  I wondered and worried about my brother, who lived just outside the city, but worked in NYC in productions.  Later on that day, I found out that my brother was, in fact, safe.

When the first plane hit, my brother was watching it on tv at his college.  He too, thought it was a random plane.  He left to get on the train to head downtown to work.  Before he got on the train, his girlfriend at the time, called and told him there was more.  He returned home to watch the second plane crash.

I recently asked my brother if he was scared.  He replied, "I wasn't scared knowing that Jesus, Mary and Joseph were walking next to me."




God, buildings rise and fall, yet you are changeless.  Be near us in times of terror and times of remembrance. Be with those who are weeping.  Strengthen and comfort those who mourn what they have lost and bring them peace. Be with our nation's leaders, that they will make the right decisions to protect our country.  And watch over all the service men and women who protect us.  Amen!

3 comments:

  1. We all were so concerned about our family that day - it brought us together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really did make us worry about "our" people and then our people became everyone - a new sense of community, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am glad your brother was spared that day.

    ReplyDelete